Saturday, October 26, 2013

Black Apple Cake


I'm not very gung-ho on this whole Halloween thing. There are few but very specific things that give me the heebie jeebies. I'm talking creepy dolls (including but not exclusive to ventriloquist dolls, harlequin dolls, marionettes), insects, clay-mation, clowns (this extends to all manner of circus folk) and creepy children. Any of these things in isolation is bad enough. Start combining them, and I'm cowering and hiding for safety behind a baby (This happened with a mime on stilts at a farmers' market one sunny Sunday. I'm not proud of it, but I was left with no other choice). I wouldn't call it fun and I certainly wouldn't call it a "holiday."
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/KO/gidget-elton-john-lg.jpg
Then there's the costume element. In Canada we call it "dressing up". In Ireland we call it "fancy dress". In Canada "fancy dress" means dressing fancy. Confusing, right? Long story short, I'm slightly traumatised from rolling up to a "fancy dress" market in a Dublin city centre pub to sell cakes, dressed as Raphael, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (tin foil sais and all) only to be the sole costumed vendor among a group of strangers wearing fancy hats. No change of clothes. Nowhere to hide. Making matters worse, I used that very same costume for Halloween and was beaten for best costume by a girl dressed up as a sexy iPhone. 

(I'm also really not into the strange costumes that people dress babies in to pose for pictures, with the exception of this one)
http://www.afewofmyfavorites.com/2011/11/my-favorite-halloween-costume.html


I object. You won't find me baking bloody cakes covered in cobwebs and gravestones with zombies clawing their way out of it. No eye balls. No witch fingers. Not even pumpkins (by virtue of negative association). I'll use the theme loosely and make something that's actually appetizing. This year I dedicated my Halloween bake to a great local coffee shop. Here is my Black Apple Cake, an homage to one of my favorite Dublin coffee shops - the Black Apple Cafe.


The Black Apple Cafe is one of the coffee shops that I am very proud to do business with. It's a family-run spot in Harold's Cross and has become increasingly popular since opening in May 2012. The neighborhood was in need of a friendly, comfortable food stop serving excellent coffee, the best cakes (ahem...) and delicious meals. Black Apple took a brave chance in an area that was previously unlucky for many before them, and I sure think it was worth it. The sausage rolls are unreal. Truth be told, it's the only shop I supply that I actually frequent as a customer. It has a lovely genuine, laid back, warm atmosphere and is the kind of place you can sit down and soften in to. Everyone should have one of these cafes in their life. 

Black Apple Cafe
http://www.blackapple.ie

208 Harolds Cross Road, Dublin 6

Black Apple Cake

Ingredients:

340g Cream Flour
15g / 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
2.5g / 1/2 tsp salt

150g Irish Butter

600g eating apples, like Braburn
180g sugar

100mL milk
3 Irish Free Range eggs
5g / 1tsp Pure Vanilla extract

50g Demerera Sugar
2.5g/ 1/2 tsp cinnamon


1. Line a 10" round cake tin and preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.
2. Peel and slice 600g eating apples. Toss in 180g sugar. Set aside
3. Sieve the flour, baking order and salt. Rub in the 150g butter.
4. Stir in the prepared apples.
4. Whisk the milk, eggs and vanilla to combine. Add to the dry ingredients and apple, and stir well to form a soft dough. Pour into your cake tin.
5. Mix the Demerera sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of the cake and bake for about 40 minutes, until the colour is golden and the cake springs back to the touch. Cool completely.

For the Blackberry glaze, combine 250g sifted icing sugar and 15g / 1Tbsp fresh lemon juice. mix until very smooth. Add 100g fresh blackberries and squish them into the mix, using a fork. Allow chunks of blackberry to remain. Drizzle over the cooled apple cake and top with fresh blackberries. 

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Caryna, should I use cooking or eating apples? I've never thought of Bramley as an eating apple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and should the glaze call for 50g of icing sugar instead of 500g?

      Delete
  2. I used Braburn but typed Bramley! Automatic fingers... I like to use an eating apple because I prefer to have bits with bite.
    As for the icing sugar, I'll correct this to 250g. Thanks for your keen eye!

    ReplyDelete